History of the School

Our school began in 1988 and was founded by the St Francis of Assisi Parish Community and the Good Samaritan Sisters. It is situated around the oldest Catholic Church in the ACT, the Sacred Heart Church, which was built in 1902. From the beginning, the emphasis has been on community - family, parish and school - being the place of peacemaking, and in the words of the Parish motto: - "to support and be supported". During the first year, it was on site at Holy Family School, Gowrie while the first stage of building was completed at Calwell. The school continued to grow, being built in stages until the final stage was completed in 1992.

 

In 1994, a second Catholic primary school, St Clare of Assisi, commenced within our Parish to accommodate the increasing Catholic population of the Tuggeranong Valley. St Clare of Assisi draws on the suburbs of Bonython, Gordon, Conder and Banks for its enrolment, while St Francis of Assisi continues to draw on Richardson, Isabella Plains, Calwell, Theodore and rural surrounds. 

 

In 2005, we became part of the newly formed Corpus Christi Parish, which was formed following the amalgamation of the Holy Family Parish, Gowrie and our St Francis of Assisi Parish, Calwell.

 

St Francis of Assisi accommodates three classes in each Year Level from Kindergarten through to Year 6, with the exception Year 5 which consists of two classes. The school currently have an enrolment of approximately 460 children and is administered by a Leadership Team including the Principal, Assistant Principal, Religious Education Coordinator and two Primary Coordinators. The Parish Team and the School Community Council support the Leadership Team.

 

Almost 40 full-time and part-time staff including Teachers, Teacher Librarian, Specialist Teachers, Learning Support Teacher, Learning Support Assistants, Secretary, Bursar and other associated support staff all work diligently to support the students and families of the school community.